Friday 2 December 2011

aks and you shall receive


I was very fortunate and blessed to meet some wonderful people who are serving selflessly, and holistically helping people in remote villages. I have witnessed their amazing programs and great works. All of them with servant hearts, joyfully giving to others, interested in other people’s welfare over themselves, answered their calls to work in hostile and unfamiliar territories for purposes past their own welfare/interests. Deeply challenging and deeply touching.

I visited knowing I will be challenged, but not knowing what I was/am meant to do. I learned a lot from the experiences and environments I was exposed to. They allowed my team to live a taste (only a glimpse was possible) of their lifestyle - where unpaved road, dust/dirt, cow dung, mosquitoes, sleeping in most basic accommodation or on the ground, most basic comforts unavailable, no electricity, erratic network or telephone coverage, limited resources (mostly only their selves, skills, willingness and abilities), heat exhaustion, and kilometres of walking inland - were all part of daily life. They shared with me their stories and welcomed me into their community. I/We continuously received blessings and hospitality and kindness. I must stress I mostly just watched them. They did all the (hard) work, the daily grind, plus took care of us too. I asked and they answered (and/or I received).

The children are… wow. Their characters are so impressive – loving and caring for each other, so smart, so witty, polite, well-mannered, so much fun and conscious of other people. They are like the nicest kids in the city but much more. These Christian children act like how we expect kids to be but with the “maturity” (a lot of adults and other kids do not have) to watch over the ones littler than them (even if it means they have to sit instead of play), and naturally think about how they could help, share with, or take care of each other. I loved hearing how they talk about each other – some funny comments but a lot of love and praises. I can say the children are a reflection of their parents and the community, and shows how well they are being nurtured.

I want to tell more about the people, with their names withheld for privacy, but it is best not to. A lot of them could have been high-earners and living in most luxurious environments. A lot of them actively chose to leave that lifestyle, as their calling was stronger than most material/human considerations.

I pray they stay strong in faith, mentally and physically. That they maintain the unity in their community, overcoming any issues and spiritual warfare that comes to all communities. Inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment